Chris Johnson and Chris Larkin
Based in Adelaide, Australia
September 30th 2015
Expand is a meditative video game in which you explore a circular labyrinth that constantly twists, stretches and expands underneath you.
Expand started as a game jam game created by Chris Johnson in 2010. Towards the end of the jam Chris had a dream in which he vividly pictured the game in his mind. The prototype created from the jam showed promise and so Chris continued creating the game in a part time capacity until 2014 when he began working on the game full time. Chris Larkin joined the project in 2011 as a composer and collaborator.
- Explore an abstract, circular world that twist, stretches and reveals itself in interesting ways.
- Weave your way around the 'puzzle-like' structures that populate the world.
- Avoid being squashed as the world resets itself with a different rotation based on where you were last squashed.
- Sink into the musical score whose beat influences when animations are cued off.
- Build your own custom levels using the bundled level editor.
Expand PS4 Announcement Trailer YouTube
Expand Release Trailer YouTube
Expand Promotional Trailer YouTube
Expand PAX Aus Post-it Note Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Official Selection" Indie Game Contest - Strasbourg 2015
- "Indie Showcase Selection" PAX Australia 2014
- "Official Selection" Sense of Wonder Night 2014
- "Honourable Mention for International Competition" Ludicious
- "Official Selection" Out of Index 2014
- "Indie Prize Nominee" Famitsu Weekly: Tokyo Game Show 2014
- "Indie Prize Nominee" 4Gamer.net: Tokyo Game Show 2014
- "Best in Audio Finalist" Freeplay 2012
- "Expand is a wonderfully original experience that defies easy definition, but when you play it, you will know. You will know you've played something special."
- Mark Serrels, Kotaku Australia
- "This unique experience is well-paced, polished, and brimming with ideas, and backed by one of the best scores I've heard in years."
- Cam Shea, IGN Australia
- "It succeeds in creating a reflective and thoughtful atmosphere. I found myself really relaxed the whole time."
- Mary Kish, Gamespot
- "Expand was my favourite game of PAX(Aus) 2014"
- Lucy O'Brien, IGN Australia
- "Expand is fiendish and clever, but what really stands out about it is how curiously emotional the experience is. It's definitely one of the most interesting games being developed in Australia right now."
- James O'Connor, games.on.net
Request Press Copy
Please fill in your e-mail address below to complete a distribute() request and we'll get back to you as soon as a press copy is available for you.
Chris Johnson and Chris Larkin allows for the contents of Expand to be published through video broadcasting services for any commercial or non-commercial purposes. Monetization of videos created containing assets from Expand is legally & explicitly allowed by Chris Johnson and Chris Larkin. This permission can be found in writing at http://expandgame.com/presskit/sheet.php?p=expand.
The soundtrack for Expand will be available on when the game is released christopherlarkin.bandcamp.com.
About Chris Johnson and Chris Larkin
Chris Johnson is a game designer from Adelaide Australia who creates short, interesting games. Chris has worked as a lecturer in the School of Computer Science at the University of Adelaide and as a programmer in the visual effects industry. Chris Larkin is a classically trained composer whose achievements include Best Composition at the South Australian Screen Awards, Runner Up at the Australian Sibelius Composers Awards and an official selection at the APRA Screen Music Awards.
More information on Chris Johnson and Chris Larkin, our logo & relevant media are available here.
Game Designer and Programmer
Editor and PR Assistance